The first St. Joseph School was a one room structure built in 1871 on St. George Street. The one room structure served until 1949 when it was replaced by a three room structure which now serves as the Parish Centre. Grades one to three were taught there and the students attended St. Mary School in Elora for grades four to eight.
In 1982 the former St. Peter School structure in Guelph was relocated to 760 St. David St. North to provide kindergarten to grade eight education for the students in Fergus. A gym was added to this relocatable structure and the “new” St. Joseph School opened in September of 1982 to an enrolment of 86 students.
The student population continued to grow rapidly over the next dozen years as portables had to be added to house the influx of students. By the end of the 1994 school year there were 320 students housed in the main structure and in the eleven portables.
In September of 1995 a totally new modern structure opened its doors on Strathallan Street. Today this modern facility is home to 480 students and over 30 staff members.
St. Joseph Catholic School’s mission is to provide students and staff with quality learning experiences in a Christ-centred environment, where the dignity and self worth of each individual is respected and celebrated.
Working in partnership with parents, and Church we strive to help each child achieve their spiritual, academic, and social potential by fostering a desire to become life-long learners and followers of Jesus Christ.